Any software and operating system have some security vulnerabilities. There is no such thing as ABSOLUTE SECURITY in computers, networks, and the internet. The only way that your computer is fully secure is that it is not connected to any network or internet. It is your responsibility to follow some basic security rules to reduce vulnerabilities.
Sometimes, hackers use your own computer to attack your web site or your accounts. They hack your computer and take your credentials or use your own connection to access your web site.
What shall I do?
If you follow these guides, you can reduce security vulnerabilities and decrease the chance of hacking your computer, any of your accounts at any web site or your own website.
- Install a firewall on your computer and block internet access to all applications that do not need internet access and keep it always updated
- Install an AntiVirus and configure it to strongly protect your computer and your connections
- Install an AntiAdware and keep it always updated
- Never login to the admin area of your web site from a public network
- If you have WiFi at home or office, change its admin password to a STRONG password and also, set a STRONG password for connecting to your WiFi.
- If your hosting company offers you two-step verification login, activate it
- Always keep your web browser updated
- Install WOT (Web of Trust) plugin on your browser and for any website that it reports as Unsafe, be very cautious
- Never use simple passwords or the same password for more than one account. If you have many accounts, you can use a password manager.